Saturday, May 1, 2010

Forget yourself

Jaden,

I'll start this letter by saying I hope that you enjoy reading more than I have in my life. It was only recently that I really began reading for enjoyment. It took me 27 years! I hope that you start reading for enjoyment earlier than me, and spend less time playing video games as I did... have... and still do.

I bring this up because I want to encourage you to specifically read a book by C.S. Lewis called "Mere Christianity". I hope that by the time you read this letter, I'll have not only finished it, but understood it in it's entirety. In this book Lewis speaks of the danger and evil of pride and true greatness of humility.

One sentence that struck me was when he says something like this, "when you clearly see God for who He is, you'll either realize how unworthy and how sinful you are or you'll forget about yourself altogether... it's better to forget yourself altogether." This is the very definition of humility and service. Forget yourself. Do not be arrogant, cocky, boastful, prideful, or think yourself better than anyone else. Follow Christ's example. He is the creator of all things, the Son of God, yet he came to us to serve us and to save us. He is the essence of humility. If you think yourself better than anyone else, you think yourself better than Christ Himself, because He came for the least of us. Again, forget yourself and focus on Christ.

Son, be careful of pride for it is perhaps the most dangerous of all traps because it starts very small and silently consumes you until it skews your vision and changes your prespective. The men I have most respected in my life are the men who the world will never celebrate. Your grandfather, my dad, is one of these men. His quiet humility was evident in his actions.

It's okay to be proud of accomplishments, to feel good about what you've done or who you are. I take pride in many things. I feel pride in my accomplishments in life. I am proud to have reached the rank of Captain in the Marine Corps. I take great pride in you my son. There is nothing wrong with this feeling good about things, but be careful not to let it affect how you see other people, or make you think better of yourself.

Search your heart son, give up your pride. Love God, serve Him with humility, and because of your love for Him, love and serve others. Forget about yourself and you'll find more joy in life than you could ever know.

Unconditionally,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment